****This giveaway is now closed. Stay tuned, more to come!***
As the second most consumed beverage in the world, tea has quite the following. I am a full-fledged member of the Tea Fan Club. Groggily, I roll out of bed each morning and reach into my box of teas, searching for the right way to start my day. The word “incomplete” does not even begin to describe how my mornings feel without that cup of tea. The good news is, that morning fix can be beneficial! Tea contains a number of bioactive compounds that are beneficial to your health. Herbal teas—actually tisanes- carry other bonuses that can help you stay healthy in a natural way.
Tea is no new thing, nor is it a passing fad. Since the Shang Dynasty (1600 BC), tea has been used for medicinal and culinary purposes. Since then, tea has spread around the world, where it has been adapted to fit every culture in its own way. From Indian Chai to Japanese Matcha and English Breakfast Tea, the beverage is consumed in so many ways that it’s hard to believe anyone would be unable to find a variety they like. Tea is such a commodity that it powers a large amount of world trade and has played an important role in economic history.
What’s all the buzz about?
Benefits of Green, White, and Black Teas
- Catechins found in green tea are beneficial to your liver. Catechins protect your body from free radicals and help ward off cancer. Studies have found that frequency of cancer decreased with tea consumption.
- Both green and black teas have been found effective in protecting the body against obesity-related diseases, such as cardiovascular disease.
- Tea can help remedy a long list of illnesses. Commercial tea has been shown to play an antiviral role, killing or inactivating viruses. Within only a few minutes, herpes simplex 1 and 2 will be killed by direct exposure to tea, hot or cold.
- White and green teas contain ECGC, a naturally occurring antioxidant that can stop the development of new fat cells and prevent signs of aging.
- Polyphenols in black tea will freshen your breath, unlike coffee. By inhibiting bacteria growth, it will even keep your mouth cleaner, longer!
- Both green and black teas have shown to slow insulin sugar sensitivity. Diabetics may find drinking tea useful.
- Green tea is said to delay onset of brain deterioration and related diseases, such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
Herbal Teas: Versatile Remedies for
Making tisanes from certain herbs will help you sleep through the night better (try SLP, by Kroeger Herb Products) or ease stomach ailments (give STM Tea or FLT Tea). Adding a tablespoon of honey to tea can help coat a sore throat, and CGH Tea will help relieve coughing.
- Spicy teas will drain your sinuses and relieve sinus headaches
- Yerba Mate is antioxidant rich. Antioxidants will fight free radicals. Yerba Mate is also know to help boost metabolism, especially fat burning.
- Ginger tea boosts the production of digestive enzymes, and makes a perfect aperitif. It also eases headaches.
- Licorice makes a sweet tea that fights inflammation. Great therapy for sore throats, licorice will also kill bacterial infections.
- Allergies? Try Stinging Nettle Tea. Nettles will lend a hand in soothing sinuses, sneezing, and irritated eyes.
- Peppermint tea is another digestive aid. It is beneficial to your GI tract. It also sooths stress and helps you find some peace of mind!
- At night, make a bedtime tea of Valerian Root, Chamomile, and Passionflower. All of these herbs will aid relaxation and help you get a sound night of sleep. Many commercial teas, like SLP, are available premixed with optimal ratios of herbs.
Now… on to our giveaway!
After learning about all of the benefits of drinking green tea, there was no way we were going to skip this one. This tea basket includes Certified Organic China Green Tea. Along with it, we’ve included Certified Organic Jasmine Green Tea and Certified Organic Yerba Mate. We’re also going to throw in several herbal teas, designed to promote health. SLP Tea is a Kroeger Herb Products blend, designed to aid sleep. LYM, or lymph tea, is an herbal tisane that is recommended for lymph complaints. Designed to help your stomach, STM tea is beneficial to those with stomach ailments. All three of those herbal teas are a part of this basket! Because every tea drinker needs a tea pot, we’re giving away a Clear Glass Teahouse Teapot, and a Celestial Tea Infuser. The book , Secret Potions, Elixirs, and Concoctions is a detailed guide to tea making and blending.
This giveaway is perfect for the well –seasoned tea drinker or the occasional sipper… and entering our raffle is easy! Simply use the widget below.
Sorry, US residents only. All entries must be in by midnight August 19, 2013.
No purchase or payment necessary to enter or win this giveaway. Winner will be chosen at random and notified within three (3) days after the entry deadline. Winner MUST RESPOND within five (5) days of notification or forfeit the prize, in which case an alternate winner will be selected at random.