It’s no secret the staff at Hanna’s Herb Shop are excited about the whole body support provided by adaptogenic herbs and we’ve got another reason to celebrate! Joining the line of Kroeger Herb’s Complete Concentrates is a highly acclaimed adaptogen, Ashwagandha (pronounced ash-wah-gon-dah) also known as “Winter Cherry.”
Adaptogen herbs get their name from their adaptable traits. They interact within each body in a unique way and find what’s wrong and attempt to fix it. They are cherished in ancient medicine as “longevity herbs,” adaptogens harmonize with your body, providing a multitude of benefits. Among the most well-known adaptogens in the western world is Schizandra, made popular by Dr. Oz, who brought attention to the herb calling it a “miracle remedy for anti-aging.”
Ashwagandha, one of the most vital herbs in Ayurvedic healing, has been used for thousands of years for a number of complaints and conditions and is most highly praised for its restorative properties following an illness. Also known as “Indian Ginseng”, it is known to pack a healing “punch” and to have significant restorative properties for the brain, immune system, and sleep regulation. Ashwagandha has often been referred to as having the “power of 10 horses” indicating the herb imparts the vigor and strength of a stallion, especially important when the body has been worn down due to sickness, surgery, or chronic illnesses.
Slowly gaining popularity among health and wellness enthusiasts in the western world, one of its unique properties is that Ashwagandha interacts with the body’s thyroid. By regulating thyroid hormones, which control energy levels through the body’s metabolism process, Ashwagandha can provide relief for a number of ailments. In ancient times, the herb was applied directly to tumors. As with many adaptogens the herb will help regulate blood glucose levels and therefore may be beneficial to diabetics. Osteoarthritis patients may also take interest in Ashwagandha as it can provide symptom and pain relief. The herb is a natural sedative and can help ease stress and anxiety. Along with antioxidants and medicinal compounds, it’s a great source of iron (high iron content will support the increase of hemoglobin levels which is good for those who are anemic).
- Immune Support: When our bodies are battling or recovering from an illness it’s important to provide it proper rest, hydration, and nourishing foods. While we all try our best to keep our systems in check, adaptogenic herbs can help to speed healing and get us back to feeling better than before. Ashwagandha, like all adaptogens, supports immune system functions but what makes this herb even more special is that it can also ease the inflammation, swelling, and pain associated with illnesses. Because of its ability to decrease pain and inflammation, Ashwagandha has shown promise in easing the complaints of arthritis and chronic conditions involving inflammation (like backaches). A final benefit to the immune system from this adaptogenic herb is its ability to increase white blood cell production. With a high white blood cell count we are able to fight illness and disease which has made Ashwagandha a go-to choice in Indian herbal medicine for people in recovery looking to rebuild their internal system.
- Brain Function: There are so many well-known herbs, like Ginkgo biloba, to support proper brain function and Ashwagandha is a strong contender for brain health. This herb promotes healthy circulation by improving the flow of blood from small blood vessels (which are integral in memory, focus, and in preventing brain cell degeneration).
- Improved Sleep and Energy: Like other adaptogens, Ashwagandha acts as your body requires and is especially helpful if you’re experiencing too many nights spent counting sheep. Having trouble falling asleep or staying asleep? Feeling groggy in the morning even if you get 8 full hours? Dragging by the time you hit the mid-day, 4 o’clock slump? Try Ashwagandha for restful and rejuvenating sleep and to restore those bright eyes in the mornin’!
Sound too good to be true? Often adaptogenic herbs seem to be a cure-all and an impossible remedy but with thousands of years of successful, healing use, we maintain our excitement surrounding these herbs. The beneficial constituents of Ashwagandha are amino acids, with anolides, alkaloids, choline, and fatty acids–all integral parts of the healthy inner-workings of your body. As with all adaptogens, the use of Ashwagandha will yield benefits quickly, and most people feel improvement within a few weeks. However, the benefits will continually improve before plateauing around the three-month mark. At this time, you may want to consider switching to another adaptogen such as Rhodiola Rosea, Schizandra, or Ginseng to maintain whole body support. Once you’ve taken a break from Ashwagandha for a few months, you can begin to take the herb again to experience its healing properties anew.
Benefits of This Powerful Adaptogen!
Ashwagandha have been known to improve the function of the reproductive system and promote healthy sexual and reproductive balance. It is used for arthritis, anxiety, tuberculosis, asthma, bronchitis, fibromyalgia, menstrual problems, hiccups, high blood pressure, chronic liver disease, and tuberculosis (however women who are pregnant or nursing should not take Ashwagandha because not enough research has been done to ensure safety).
- Sexual Health
- Pain Relief
- Eye Health
- Heart Tonic
- Maintain Healthy Cholesterol Levels
- Regulates Blood Sugar
- Supports in the reduction of Depression & Anxiety
You can purchase Ashwagandha on our website at hannasherbshop.com. Be on the lookout for another adaptogen herb, Holy Basil (or Tulsi), now available! Want more information on our most popular adaptogen herbs? Read this blog, “Elixirs of Life” – Adaptogen Herbs for Natural Longevity.